"Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain."
~Unknown

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Water Marbled Nails!!!

So I have been getting tired of painting my nails just plain old colors.  Thursday I decided to look on Pinterest and see if I culd find some ideas that were in my skill range ( which is pretty limited ;)
Anyway, i found water marbling and watched a tutorial on YouTube.
So here's some pictures and I'll do my best to explain what i'm doing :)
Just a heads up though, this is a time consuming process...it took me 2 1/2 hours to do my hands ;D


So you start with whatever color you want for a base coat on your nails and just give them a thin coat.  Once that dries, choose what colors you want to marble.  I did a glittery light pink and a very dark marroon.  Then you need a cup of room temperature water.

Next, you're going to take your nail polish and let it drip into the water one color at a time.  I will form rings like in the above picture...(cool, hu?)  You can make as many rings as you like, but you'll have to move quickly since the polish dries fast.  Its best to use a thinner nail polish that will drip easily, and don't use any speed drying kinds either.

Once you have the desired amount of rings, take a pin or a toothpick (pin worked better) and pull the stripes around to make a pattern.  Don't mix it too much or the colors will blend and it won't really work.

When you like the pattern, choose a spot that looks good in the cup, and lay your finger nail on top of the water, then push your finger down into the cup.  Take a q-tip and drag through the surface of the water to pick up the polish still floating there.  Then pull your finger up with the nail facing up towards you.
Your finger will look something like this:

As I'm sure you can see, its a really messy process.  To help the polish come off your skin easier you can put vasseline or petrolium jelly on your finger before you start the process.  Just be careful not to get in on your nail or the polish won't stick.  Then at this point you can simply take a toothpick and scrape the polish off your finger.  It'll come off really easily with the vasseline.

So, that's basically it!  I left them dry for a while, then went over them with a clear coat to help keep them from chipping.  Sorry, my fingers are still really messy in the pictures.  To clean that off, I put nail polish remover on a q-tip and went around the nail edges.  If anyone decides to try this, let me know how it worked out for you!





Here's another idea I tried:  Converse Sneakers!!!

These were much simpler than the above water marbled nails!

1 comment:

  1. Oops! I just noticed that I wrote "culd" up near the beginning of this post instead of "could" hehe

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone!
Thanks for commenting! I love hearing from you all!
Please remember to keep your comments God-honoring ;)
~Brianna