"Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain."
~Unknown

Sunday, December 22, 2013

The REAL 12 Days Of Christmas

I don't know about you all, but I always found the 12 days of Christmas song rather annoying and odd...until I listened to Reliant K's version of it.  Now I absolutely love it!  And I'm going to answer the question that the chorus of this song asks:
"What's a partridge, what's a pear tree?  I don't know so please don't ask me.  But I can bet those are terrible gifts to get!"



Now, for the real meaning of the song.  I am getting this info from a book called The Story Behind the Real twelve Days of Christmas. 

In the sixteenth century, England proclaimed and official state church, and any other religious teaching was forbidden.  Parents had to come up with creative ways to teach their children christman truths, so they often put the truths into lyrics and songs.  This song could be freely sung, because it never mentions God, only "my true love' which refers to God.

THE FIRST DAY
"On the first day of christmas my true love gave to me a partridge in a pear tree..."

A partridge is a small bird similar to a quail or grouse.  the partridge was known as a valiant bird, willing to fight to the death for its young.  the bird's readiness to die for its own made it an ancient symbol of Christ.  The Pear tree represents the cross.


THE SECOND DAY
"On the second day of christmas my true love gave to me two turtledoves..."

For hundreds of years, Jewish families used two turtledoves as offerings to God.  This gift reminds us of the sacfifice offered for Jesus by Mary and Joseph.  A sacrifice of two turtledoves was required by the law.


THE THIRD DAY
"On the third day of christmas my true love gave to me three French hens..."
French hens were valuable poultry during the sixteenth century- only the rich could afford them.  these birds remind us of the three valuable gifts given to Jesus by the wise men...gold, frankincense, and myrrh.


THE FOURTH DAY
"On the fourth day of christmas my true love gave to me four calling birds..."
The calling birds are reminders of the four Gospel writers: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.  Like birds, these four writers called out and proclaimed Christ with loud and distinctive voices.


THE FIFTH DAY
"On the fifth day of christmas my true love gave to me five golden rings..."
The five gold rings represent the first five books of the Old testament: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.  These books, known to the Jews as the Torah, were treated with great reverence and considered to be woth more than gold.


THE SIXTH DAY
"On the sixth day of christmas my true love gave to me six geese a-laying..."
In many cultures, eggs represent new life.  Six geese a-laying remind us of the first six days of Creation when God, by His word, brought forth life on the earth.


THE SEVENTH DAY
"On the seventh day of christmas my true love gave to me seven swans a-swimming..."
The seven swans symbolize the seven gifts of the Spirit: prophesying, serving, teaching, encouraging, contributing to the needs of others, leadership, and showing mercy.


THE EIGHTH DAY
"On the eighth day of christmas my true love gave to me eight maids a-milking..."
The eight maids remind us of the eight unique teachings of Jesus, known as the Beatitudes.  These teachings nurture and strengthen us much like the way milk nourishes a child.


THE NINTH DAY
"On the ninth day of christmas my true love gave to me nine ladies dancing..."
The nine ladies symbolize the nine different fruits that the Holy Spirit produces in the lives of God's children.  Just as these ladies dance joyfully, so can every christian rejoice over the life-giving fruits of the Holy Spirit.

THE TENTH DAY
"On the tenth day of christmas my true love gave to me ten lords a-leaping..."
Lords were men with authority to command people's obedience.  Ten lords symbolize God's ten basic laws, otherwise known as the Ten Commandments.

THE ELEVENTH DAY
"On the eleventh day of christmas my true love gave to me eleven pipers piping..."
These represent the eleven apostles who were chosen by Christ and remained faithful to him.  Like children joyfully following a piper, these disciples joyfully followed Jesus.


THE TWELFTH DAY
"On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love gave to me twelve drummers drumming..."
Just as drummers beat out a loud, steady rhythm for marchers to follow, so the Apostles Creed sets forth the beliefs of those who call themselves Christians.  The twelve drummers represent the twelve vital Christian beliefs as stated in the Apostle's Creed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!
Thanks for commenting! I love hearing from you all!
Please remember to keep your comments God-honoring ;)
~Brianna